Hot Potatoes interactive-exercise authoring tool
Most of the exercises on this site were created thanks to the Hot Potatoes authoring tool. It is now freeware.
The authors, Martin Holmes and Stewart Arniel, kindly provide a number of Tutorials on their website and in particular:
- Standard Tutorial for Windows
- Hacking Hot Potatoes: A detailed workshop with ten examples
- Hacking in Hot Potatoes: A little knowledge brings a lot of power
- How to edit the source files
Some of the images come from their Language Teaching Clipart Library.
- Michael Rottmeier’s Find-it! v3.2b
- Agnès Simonet’s JMatch Horizontal drag-and-drop: demo here
- Agnès Simonet’s JMatch Sort v1.4.3 – more information here.
Stan’s customizations can also be found in his book: Hacking Hot Potatoes: The Cookbook
I am profoundly grateful to these coders and others who have provided helpful information and advice on the hotpotatoesusers group and also to the Moodle developer, Gordon Bateson, in the Hotpot (add-on) Forum.